It’s finally arrived: our big trip! I’m writing this from our cosy little capsule in Singapore, where we’ll be spending the next four nights. I wanted to recap our first travel day from Nottinghamshire all the way to Singapore. I’ll write about our days in depth every so often, but probably not every day. Let’s begin!

Leaving home

November 1st, and we’re finally ready to leave. It’s hard to believe that we’re actually here and it’s really happening. We’ve been planning and reading other blogs and watching vlogs for so long! Now it’s our turn!

We were up early on Tuesday morning and my parents drove us to Nottingham station. We all had a tearful goodbye (okay, well, mostly me!) and boarded our train to London. It took us 1h45, we made it in good time! A quick Pret for me and McDonald’s for Adam and we hit the Piccadilly line all the way out to Terminal 5.

The airport process was super smooth, and we made it through security and to the gates with time to spare. Our flight was delayed by an hour when we first got through, but eventually dropped to just 30 minutes which was good. A little shopping, a little sitting and a short walk later and we were boarded and ready to fly! (Side note: THE HOFF was on our flight, we watched him board..exciting!)

We flew with British Airways, non stop, and it for the most part was a nice and easy flight. It was a little hard to sleep, there seemed to be every screaming baby on the planet in our part of the cabin. Also a woman who watched the interactive route the whole way and kept opening her blind every five minutes to see if we’d moved. WHY?!?

Anywho. After a 12 hour flight, we made it! Immigration was a breeze, and we next had to tackle getting to our hostel. Time for..the MRT!

Getting Around

I’d researched before we left and decided the best option for us was EZ-Link cards. Basically Singapore’s answer to the Oyster, we paid a $5 fee each and they come loaded with $7 credit so $12 each in total. There is also a tourist pass, but it seemed like we’d be rushing to make the most of our credit, and also, wouldn’t cover us when going back to the airport. EZ-Link it is! We purchased these at Changi station and then battled rush hour to Little India. It’s basically the same as any major city’s subway and super easy to use. We loved that people seem to queue by either side of the doors for the next train to come. None of this force-your-way-on-come-hell-or-highwater stuff… yet.

Our hostel, the Vintage Inn, is small but perfect for what we need – we’re in a double capsule bed. It feels super cosy in here and we feel like little children in a den. The only downside is the ladder up and down feels like a death trap… almost fallen off of it at least twice!

An evening stroll

Even after over 20 hours of travel, we weren’t quite ready for bed yet. We explored Little India for an hour or so, taking in all the pretty lights up for Deepavali/Diwali, they’re so colourful! We stopped at the Tekka Centre, a hawker centre, for a plate of Nasi Goreng (fried rice with chicken it turns out) between us and a lime juice each. So cheap and tasty! We’re real advocates for hawker centres, you can eat really well for little money!

We meandered the streets of Little India before we heard bed calling our name, and so off to sleep we went, excited to wake up and spend our first full day in Singapore!